Instructions for Graduate School Admissions
Admission requirements vary depending on the specific degree you pursue. Follow this guide to learn about the graduate programs offered at the Cockrell School, and the specific requirements for each.
Contact the graduate adviser or coordinator in your specific area of interest for more information or to arrange a visit to the Cockrell School of Engineering.
1. Research your graduate program of interest:
- Cockrell School of Engineering Graduate Degree Programs
- Cockrell School of Engineering Faculty Research Directory (NOTE: for interdiscipinary programs, check program website for complete faculty listing.)
2. Follow these application instructions to submit your application and all required information.
- A UT EID (an electronic identifier) is required to initiate the application process. If you do not have a UT EID, you must establish one using the page for Prospective Graduate Students. We may have already created a UT EID when we received your test scores or other documents. If we determine that you already have a UT EID, we will connect you to your existing UT EID. Creating a new UT EID using the "I need a UT EID" link from the login page will result in an error on the application.
- Login to Apply for Graduate Admissions.
- Once you log in using your UT EID, you will be directed to a screen that contains a link to "General Instructions for All Graduate Applicants." Please review these.
- Select "U.S. Graduate" or "International Graduate." NOTE: Applicants with Permanent Resident status or International Applicants who have previously attended The University of Texas at Austin should select "U.S. Graduate."
- Select the semester of entry.
- Choose the specific graduate program to which you want to apply.
- Click, "Select Major and Create Application."
- To enter your application information, click on each of the left side tabs (e.g., Biographical, Personal, Education, etc.) and enter the information requested. Be sure to save your information by clicking the save button at the bottom of the screen for each section.
- You may be asked to upload certain documents; please upload the documents as PDF files. Once you have submitted your application and paid your application fees, you can upload supplemental documents (such as transcripts) from your Status Check page.
- You can complete your application in more than one sitting; just be sure to save your information. Once you have submitted your application, you will NOT be able to modify your application. Remember, you will need your UT EID information to login again.
- If you have submitted your application and need to make a change, please contact the Graduate Coordinator of the program to which you are applying.
- To apply to more than one program, just repeat the process. All applications on file for your EID will be listed. Do not pay an additional application fee. Within 48 hours after submitting your application, the application fee that you initially paid will be applied to your new application.
- Once you have submitted your application and paid your application fee, go to your Status Check page to upload PDF documents of your transcripts. For more information on this, refer to the Applying for Graduate Admissions page.
3. Stay informed and monitor the status of your application:
Cockrell School of Engineering Contact List: Graduate Advisers and Coordinators by program area.
Monitor your UT graduate application completion status.
Graduate Program Contacts
Get in touch with graduate advisers and coordinators for each degree program. Read more