Cockrell School of Engineering Graduation
On Friday, May 19, parents, friends and family will congregate at The University of Texas at Austin to watch many engineering students graduate from the Cockrell School of Engineering.
Graduating another cohort of young engineers is a momentous occasion, and with a little organization and need-to-know information on the big event, the day will be smooth and seamless for students and their families.
Students who will not graduate until Summer 2017 but would like to register to participate in the spring commencement ceremony please fill out the Spring commencement application form located here.
Frank C. Erwin Jr., Special Events Center – 1701 Red River
*There is construction around the Erwin Center which involves street closures such as Red River Street, please plan accordingly. For further information please view here. In addition, please view the parking map.
Friday, May 19, 2017
- Candidates should arrive by 6 p.m. at the Red River entrance.
- Ceremony begins promptly at 7 p.m.
- The graduation ceremony will last approximately 3 hours.
- Be prepared to remain for the entire ceremony.
- Students should wear business attire underneath their regalia.
- Academic Regalia is required for all degree candidates and consists of a black robe, mortar board, bright orange tassel and bright orange stole.
- A regalia package is available for purchase from the University Co-op.
- Please note that the appropriate tassel/stole color for the Cockrell School of Engineering is bright orange.
- If you borrow regalia, please make sure that you also have or purchase the bright orange stole and tassel.
- Only academic related additions to the regalia will be allowed (i.e. honor cords, honor society stoles, etc.)
- Please do not bring any personal items such as purses, backpacks or coats.
- There is no dress code for guests.
Special note about footwear: Be careful in choosing shoes to wear, as the ramps to and from the stage can be slick and are rather steep. It is recommended that high heels not be worn. No flip flops, please.
The Spring 2017 Commencement keynote speaker is alumnus and structural engineer Randall Poston (B.S. CE 1978; M.S. CE 1980; Ph.D. CE 1984), senior principal at Pivot Engineers.
- No tickets are required.
- The Frank Erwin Center has plenty of seating.
- Note: Other colleges/schools may require tickets for their graduation ceremonies.
- Invitations may be purchased from the University Co-op.
- During the ceremony, each degree candidate will cross the stage and be congratulated.
- A professional photographer will be present.
- Candidates will have the option of purchasing photographs, but there is no obligation to do so.
- Photos from the commencement ceremony can be ordered from Flash Photography.
- Parking is available in UT parking lots and UT parking garages.
- For more information see the UT campus parking maps.
- Additional parking may be found in State of Texas employee parking lots and garages near the Erwin Center.
- Print a map of campus Visitor Parking areas.
Degree candidates: If you need accommodations, please contact Pam Vrabel in Engineering Student Services (512) 471-4321 at least five business days prior to the event.
Guests: The Erwin Center is equipped for persons with mobility concerns. Persons needing assistance should enter through the Red River entrance where they will find convenient access to elevators and arrangements for wheelchair seating.
Commencement Security Information
The University of Texas at Austin recently made changes to its Commencement security procedures. Read more.
Graduating in Summer 2017?
If you are an undergraduate potentially graduating in Summer 2017 and would like to participate in the Spring Commencement Ceremony, please register here. There is no summer commencement ceremony offered. The deadline to have your name printed in the program is April 3. Please call 512-471-4321 for more information.
Graduation Information for M.S. and Ph.D. Students
Students graduating with a M.S. or Ph.D. in engineering this Spring or Summer are invited to attend the Cockrell School Commencement Ceremony.
Register here to attend the ceremony.
Deadline to have your name printed in the program is April 3.