Probation and Dismissal
A student is placed on engineering probation when 1) their grade point average (GPA) for their major area of study courses taken in residence falls below a 2.00, or 2) their required technical course (RTC) GPA taken in residence falls below a 2.00. Students may view their engineering probation status on their Personal Probation Worksheet.
- Instructions for First Semester Engineering Probation
- Instructions for Continued Engineering Probation
A student is dismissed from the Cockrell School after two long semesters if their GPA has not reached a 2.00 for their major area of study and/or required technical courses. Dismissed students will have their major changed to Engineering Undeclared and will no longer be eligible to pursue an engineering degree at The University of Texas at Austin. Students with questions may contact their assigned advisor in Engineering Student Services & Advising Office to discuss their options, such as how to appeal a dismissal.
Scholastic Probation and Dismissal
An undergraduate must maintain a minimum cumulative University GPA to remain academically eligible to register for the subsequent semester or summer session. As shown in the following table, the minimum GPA required varies with the total number of college credit hours the student has undertaken.
- Table of Scholastic Standards
UT Austin GPA for
UT Austin GPA for
Below 15 less than a 2.00 less than 1.50 15-44 less than a 2.00 less than 1.70 45-59 less than a 2.00 less than 1.85 60 or more less than a 2.00 less than 2.00
View more information in the university’s General Information Catalog.
- How do I clear my probation bar?
- You MUST review the probation module and bring in your completed questionnaire when you meet with your advisor in order to have your probation advising bar cleared. In this advising appointment, you will discuss the reasons why you are on probation, your academic success plan to get off of probation and your overall plan to move forward.
- Will being on probation impact my major sequence application?
- Maybe. You should review the Cockrell School’s major sequence policies, and specific questions should be directed to your departmental advisor.
- Will my engineering probation/dismissal status appear on my grade report?
- No, but you will be notified by the Engineering Student Services & Advising Office if you are put on probation or dismissed.
- What do I include in a dismissal appeal?
- Any circumstances that have impacted your academic performance, and why you did or did not seek assistance. If you sought assistance, please provide evidence of this.
Engineering Student Services & Advising (formerly SAO)
Contact Engineering Student Services & Advising (ESSA) for answers about policies, procedures, support services and programs.
Location: Engineering Student Services (ESS) Building (as of 8/11/14)
Street Address: 2407 Speedway
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
To contact advisors within your department, visit the Departmental Advising Offices page.
G4: Scheduling for Graduation
G4 focuses on degree requirements and time-related issues that surround courses to assist students in scheduling for graduation. Read more