1st and 2nd Year Programs
WEP offers four programs specifically targeted to first- and second-year students, recognizing that these students need support and encouragement to get the most out of their college experience and to help them explore the options and make informed decisions about college careers and future plans, including internships and careers.
First Year Initiative (FYI)
WEP’s First Year Initiative (FYI) program is designed specifically for the needs and interests of first-year women engineering students. FYI events provide academic and peer support to inform students about engineering as a major and to connect students to the larger engineering community.
First-year Interest Groups (FIGs)
WEP sponsors 5 First-year Interest Groups (FIGs) open to all first year engineering majors. A FIG is a:
- weekly seminar class led by a WEP Staff member and an undergraduate peer mentor
- group of about 20 first year students, taking a few required classes together
- way to make new friends & form study groups
- organized around a theme or interest
- includes hands on engineering projects
- fun, interactive way to learn about WEP, the Cockrell School and UT
- free, first year experience that is your 360 connection
The WEP Residential Community in Kinsolving provides first-year engineering women with the opportunity to live together in a supportive, residential community. Members make new friends quickly and esily, form study groups and have special progamming and academic support from the WEP Staff.
The Cockrell School of Engineering is dedicated to the recruitment, retention and graduation of new engineers. We believe that providing testing and training in the area of spatial visualization may greatly improve the success of students in engineering and related coursework.
For more information, contact Ana Dison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-471-5650.